At an online press conference for tvN's upcoming drama, "My Favorite Employee," South Korean actor Kang Hoon explained why he never pursued an idol career despite his impressive dancing skills.
The drama, which premiered on August 3, 2026, is based on the webtoon "My Oppa is an Idol" and tells the story of office romance and personal growth at a fashion platform company. Kang Hoon plays Kang Ha-gi, the smart and fit CEO of Apello.
At the press event, Kang explained that his character is a perfectionist who begins to waver after Nam Da-reum, played by Kim Hye-jun, joins the team. "He praises success but is obsessed with his work," Kang said, explaining how he researched the habits and styles of platform CEOs to authentically portray his role.
One interesting moment occurred when MC Park Kyung -rim jokingly asked Kang about his dancing skills, referring to his co-star Cha Woo-min's role as an idol in the drama. Kang confidently replied, "I think I have amazing dancing skills. If I study properly, I can definitely become an idol."
Despite his confidence, Kang revealed that he was never interested in following the idol path. "I wasn't interested because it seemed so challenging. Cha Woo-min practiced non-stop on his days off, and seeing that made me want to support him more than try it myself," Kang explained.
Cha Woo-min also expressed his gratitude to Kang Hoon and Kim Hye-jun who always provided support during the choreography scenes, adding that they personally came to the filming location to encourage the dancers.
Meanwhile, Kim Hye-jun also shared his experience of taking on a rom-com for the first time. He plays Nam Da-reum, a new member of the marketing team who is a devoted fan of Lee Chan (Cha Woo-min), but unexpectedly develops feelings for CEO Kang Ha-gi (Kang Hoon).
Kim admitted that he felt pressured when entering the rom-com genre, but greatly appreciated the support of his colleagues and director Park Ji-hyun. "I gathered as much of my charm as I could," he said.
The drama depicts the dilemma Nam Da-reum faces as he navigates his feelings between the warm yet cold CEO Kang Ha-gi and his idol Lee Chan, creating a compelling love triangle.
Combining office romance with fan fantasy, "My Favorite Employee" invites viewers to explore professional ambitions and deep relationships through its compelling characters. The show will be available to stream on Viki simultaneously with its broadcast on tvN.
Post a Comment