Meghan Markle once again surprised the public with an ability that is rarely known to many people. While attending a tour in Colombia, the wife of Prince Harry showed her fluency in Spanish. The moment occurred when Meghan spoke at an event titled 'Afro Women and Power' held at a theater in the city of Cali, Colombia, on Sunday August 18, 2024. 

At the event, Meghan opened her speech using Spanish. "I want to start in Spanish because we are in your country, my husband and I feel like we can feel the Colombian hug," she said. Meanwhile, Prince Harry sat in the audience wearing a translator to help understand his wife. 

Meghan, who is quite fluent in the language, again thanked the Colombian people who had welcomed her. "This is amazing, thank you very much, because the culture, the history, everything is like a dream on this trip," she said again.

As she began her speech, Meghan called Colombian Vice President Francia Márquez 'my friend', a phrase that showed the closeness between the two. Meghan also apologized if her Spanish was not perfect, considering that she last used the language actively about 20 years ago when she was in Argentina.

"Sorry if my Spanish is not perfect because I learned it 20 years ago in Argentina, but I try here because I can feel this community and this feeling is the best in the world. So, thank you very much to the Vice President of Colombia Francia Márquez, my friend. Thank you very much," she added.

Meghan's ability to speak Spanish is actually not entirely new. Before becoming a member of the British royal family, Meghan studied at Northwestern University in the United States, where she double-majored in theater and international studies.

In 2002, Meghan did an internship at the United States Embassy in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and also attended a study program in Madrid, Spain. During her time in Madrid, Meghan lived with a local family and took several courses taught in Spanish, so her language skills were quite good.

After an impressive opening speech in Spanish, Meghan switched to English. She discussed the inspiring women in her life, including her mother. Meghan also spoke about her three-year-old daughter Lilibet, who she said is starting to express herself at a very young age.

"I feel so proud that our daughter, at three years old, is already finding her own voice, and we're so proud of that," Meghan said. "For me, inspiration comes from many strong women around me, one of whom is my mother. Life is full of surprises and can be very complex," she said again.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post