Noh Sang Hyun expressed his gratitude toward co-star Kim Go Eun in a recent interview about his role in Love in the Big City (directed by Lee Eon Hee). Love in the Big City is based on Park Sang Young’s bestselling novel and tells the story of Jae Hee (Kim Go Eun), a free-spirited soul who doesn’t care about playing by the rules, and Heung Soo (Noh Sang Hyun), who prefers to keep his distance from the world. 

Together, they navigate their unique version of love while living and working side by side. Noh Sang Hyun plays Heung Soo, a character who isn’t interested in school, dating women, or opening up to anyone easily. With secrets he wants to keep hidden, Heung Soo remains closed off from others—a role that Noh portrayed with subtlety and depth.

“I decided to take on the role because the script was so appealing,” Noh said. “It was written in such an honest and down-to-earth way, and the dialogue felt really real. The characters were so interesting, too, so I just had to do it.” The actor added, “The fact that Heung Soo is part of the LGBTQ+ community wasn’t an issue for me. 

What mattered more was understanding the character as a whole, not focusing on one specific trait. I didn’t feel any pressure.” Noh also shared the challenges of portraying Heung Soo over a span of 13 years, starting as a 20-year-old college student. “For the younger Heung Soo, I kept the energy light and playful and raised my voice to match that youthful vibe. 

I tried to approach it like I was hanging out with my real friends. Later, as Heung Soo ages, I just let myself naturally fall into the role,” he explained. “When Heung Soo’s in college, his style is very simple and low-key because he doesn’t want to stand out—he doesn’t have money, so he wears basic clothes, often in neutral colors. 

But when he’s at nightclubs or in spaces where he can express himself, he dresses up a bit more, showing a different side of himself.” Noh Sang Hyun also talked about his experience working alongside Kim Go Eun. “When I found out I’d be acting with her, I was so honored. She’s incredibly talented, and with all her experience, I knew we wouldn’t have any issues working together. 

It just sounded like fun, and she was more friendly than I expected, so I had nothing to worry about,” he shared. The actor then went on, “We clicked once we started filming. We spent a lot of time together in Jae Hee’s house for the scene, and we really bonded.” Already garnering attention with its official invitation to the Toronto International Film Festival, Love in the Big City, will hit the theaters on October 2, 2024.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post